IT Infrastructure Library® (ITIL) is the most widely adopted framework for IT Service Management in the world. It is a practical approach to identifying, planning, delivering and supporting IT services to the business. It describes how IT resources should be organized to deliver business value, documenting the processes, functions and roles of IT Service Management (ITSM).
ITIL principles are used by a number of organizations in both the public and private sectors such as NASA, IBM, HP, British Telecom, HSBC bank and L'Oreal.
ITIL is created and owned by the Cabinet Office. ITIL best practices are explained in the five core guidance publications outlining the fundamental ITIL principles that focus on various areas within the service management discipline.
ITIL best practices also underpin the foundations of ISO/IEC 20000 (previously BS15000), the International Service Management Standard for organizational certification and compliance.
About ITIL Qualifications
The following certifications are available under the ITIL Qualifications scheme:
- ITIL Foundation (known as ITIL v3 and ITIL 2011 edition)
- The ITIL Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management is the entry level examination for the scheme. There are no pre-requites for this examination.
- ITIL Intermediate Level
- The ITIL Intermediate level is the core of the scheme. To take an examination at this level, candidates must hold the ITIL Foundation qualification and must complete an accredited training course.
- The following examinations are available at the intermediate level:
- Service Lifecycle: management focused examinations
- Service Strategy
- Service Design
- Service Transition
- Service Operation
- Continual Service Improvement
- Service Capability: process focused examinations
- Planning Protection and Optimization
- Release Control and Validation
- Operational Support and Analysis
- Service Offerings and Agreements
- ITIL Managing Across the Lifecycle (MALC)
- It is the capstone examination for the scheme. Candidates who have earned at least 17 credits from both Foundation and Intermediate modules of ITIL Certifications are eligible to take this course and examination, and will be eligible for the ITIL Expert level award following successful completion.
- For full information on the qualifications available under the scheme please see:
Benefits of ITIL
The Benefits of ITIL:
ITIL Online and Classroom
ITIL Course Materials
- Provides a single documented framework for IT best practices that flow across the IT organization.
- Reduces IT costs and justifies the cost of IT quality and supports improvement of user productivity.
- Supports ability of IT to measure and improve internal performance and service provisioning.
- Improves communication and information flow between IT and the organization and business departments and identifies roles and responsibilities for IT Service Management.
- Improves ability of IT to adjust as business opportunities and challenges are presented.
- Improves relationship of IT with the business - builds trust.
ITIL Couse Outline